Thursday, September 22, 2011

How it went from hobby to job-Part 1

We had gotten an advertisement about the Easter Bunny being at our favorite toy store/magic & clowning shop (The Husband and I have always been into balloons & magic tricks). I'm also a teacher, so any chance to go to this place I'm all for (it's called US Toy. Give them your business!!)
We took our son, who was 1, to see the Easter Bunny. Wow. First time US Toy had let us down. It was just a guy standing there in a bunny suit holding a basket. No hugs or anything!
So since we had already made the long drive, we decide to look around to see if there's anything new, after all, it's still a great store.
So I'm looking for ideas of what to use for one of my classes and the Husband's kind of looking but spending more time convincing our son to stay with us and not run off. As the Husband talks to our son, who is in the process of lifting up an entire shopping basket, a strange middle-aged lady with this orangey bleach colored hair comes up and starts making small talk with the Husband. She'd heard him speaking with our son in Spanish and thought she'd come ask for help.
"Where's all the clown stuff?" she asks. I grin. My husband knows where every little thing is. He's going to talk her ear off. (Better her than me!)
It turns out, the woman whom I'll call Anissa, wants to create a clown party for her niece's son's birthday but she's not sure how to go about doing it. The Husband starts to explain while I make my rounds of the store with my son. On my second trip around the store, I discover my husband's gotten out balloons and is trying to give Anissa and her niece a crash course in ballooning. The problem? The Husband's not a teacher and ballooning requires tons of practice. Both women have these horrified looks plastered to their faces while my husband's acting like he's teaching them how to open a door. Simple! Nothing to it.
Next thing I know, Anissa's begging my husband to just be the clown at their party instead of her. The Husband's startled. I'm impressed. "That could be fun for you, honey," I say. He shakes his head. "No, I only do this for fun. It doesn't feel right."
The problem is, Anissa is the type of woman who is incapable of taking no for an answer...

No comments:

Post a Comment