Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Scary Jesus at a Party

Contrary to popular belief, I am not Catholic. Just because my husband is Hispanic, that also does not mean he is Catholic (ok. He was raised Catholic. He does fit some of the stereotype.)
We do however, have many friends who are both Hispanic and Catholic.
Despite these friendships, our son has an astonishingly small amount of exposure to all things Catholic.
So, when we were at a party on Saturday, I took our son into our friend's bedroom to change his diaper. When he's done, he stands up on the bed, points at the wall and exclaims in horror, "What's that, Mommy?!"
I look at the wall. I see a crucifix. Then I think about what my son sees. He sees a man in agonizing pain as he dies a horrible death, has nails through his hands, and a crown of thorns on his head. "Oh that's just Jesus on the cross, baby," I reply, pick him up, and get him out of there!
I suppose if you were raised around crucifixes, they wouldn't disturb you the way this one disturbed my son and me, but wow! Catholicism is not a religion for the faint of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment